Monday, June 24, 2013

Coping With Other People and Their Judgment

Number four on my hardest parts list was as follows:

4. Dealing with other people and their judgement.

Most of the people in my life have been completely supportive of my decision.  However, there are some who think I took the easy way out.  Haha! Oh how they don't understand.  This is the hardest thing a person could ever have to do, and it's very sacrificial.  To have others look down on you for it-not so fun.

The way I deal with this, honestly, is just to ignore it.  The people that really matter, they support you and love you no matter what.  Even those that don't agree with your choice, if they love you, they don't belittle you for it.  Most of the people who did give me a hard time for it are people who I haven't spoken to in years, people who don't know me very well, or my situation-so they really have no room to talk.

The thing that you have to realize is that it is YOUR decision.  It affects you, your family, and your child.  Anyone outside of that, doesn't matter.  

Also, if you have ever met a family who was not able to have kids, and adopted, then you know how much of a blessing you are to the family you choose.  I remember when I got pregnant, I was like, "Why am I able to have kids when I don't want to have children, and there are so many women out there who can't that wish they could?  I wish I could trade places with them."  I don't feel that way anymore.  I think Brody's adoptive family can appreciate him in an even deeper way since they couldn't have him on their own.  I now understand why people want children, and what a blessing they are, and I have experienced love on a completely different level.

I am thankful for this situation, and I am stronger for it.  Nobody else can take that away from me no matter what they say or think about the situation.  And anyone is this situation, anyone who has felt this kind of loss, you know that it's not selfish.  You know how difficult this is and how much strength it takes.  It's ok to recognize that in yourself.  Don't let other people take that away from you.  You are amazing!  You are strong! You are self-less!  You have a huge loving heart!  Can those people say the same thing about themselves?  Don't let it get to you.  Focus on who you are in Christ and the gift you've given your child and another family.  You are a blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment